Candidates applying for admission to the BSc in Integrative Systems and Design (ISDN) program are required to submit the application and also upload the “Design and Technology Portfolio (DTP)” via ISD admission page separately. Note that the submission of DTP is MANDATORY, candidates who fail to submit the DTP by the deadline will not be considered for the admission.
After uploading the DTP, you will receive a confirmation of DTP submission. Please proceed the application further according to the instructions below:
- For applicants with International Qualifications/ Associate Degree/ Higher Diploma, you are required to upload the confirmation of DTP submission in pdf/jpeg format to “Proof of Design and Technology Portfolio Submission” under “Required Documents”. Note that the deadlines of admission application and DTP submission are as follows:
Application Opens 17 Sep 2018 Early Round Application Closes 15 Nov 2018 Early Round DTP Submission Closes 25 Nov 2018 Early Round Offer Announcements Late Dec 2018 to Early Jan 2019 * Applicants who do not receive our offer will be considered in the main round with other applicants Main Round Application Closes 07 Jan 2019 Main Round DTP Submission Closes 18 Jan 2019 Main Round Offer Announcements Feb 2019 onwards Late Round Application and DTP Submission Close 31 Mar 2019
- For JUPAS applicants, please keep the confirmation of DTP submission in pdf/jpeg format to yourself. You may be required to show it to the ISD admission committee if needed. Note that the deadlines of admission application and DTP submission are as follows:
Application Opens 19 Sep 2018 Application Closes 5 Dec 2018 DTP Submission Closes 31 May 2019 Modification of program choices by the students 11-13 Jul 2019 DTP Submission Closes (for New Applicants who apply for ISDN from 11 Jul 2019) 13 Jul 2019 JUPAS Offer Announcements 5 Aug 2019
- For Mainland JEE applicants, you are required to upload the confirmation of DTP submission in pdf/jpeg format to “Proof of Design and Technology Portfolio Submission (DTP作品集之上传凭证)” under “Required Documents (上载补充文件)”. Note that the deadlines of admission application and DTP submission are as follows:
Application Opens 18 Oct 2018 First Round DTP Submission Closes 31 Dec 2018 Application and Final Round DTP Submission Close 11 Jun 2019 HKUST Offer Announcements 28 Jun – 6 Jul 2019
What is Design and Technology Portfolio (DTP)?
DTP is a purposeful collection of the student’s past design and technology efforts, to tell a coherent story of their problem-solving approach and design process to arrive at the final work. It highlights candidates’ previous project work that describes how, why and what the students work on the projects.
It should be up to 3 pages of text in font 12 and 5 pages of diagrams/ photos/ figures describing their key experience in personal investigative projects, prominent enrichment program and/ or local/ international competitions (e.g. design, hackathon, robotics, startup camps, etc.). The experience is to be summarized as a design project journey including details from conceptualization, proof-of-concepts to end results. In addition to textual descriptions, candidates can exhibit skills in visual design or craftsmanship by including drawings, 3D work, digital work, models, original photographs, and/ or short videos (less than 5 minutes). The candidates are recommended to prepare an independent design-centric portfolio. For JUPAS applicants, use of the materials from their Student Learning Profile (SLP) or Other Experience and Achievement (OEA) for portfolio is allowed. Any applications found to contain plagiarized work will be rejected de-facto.
The assessment criteria of DTP include 4 aspects – (i) Inspiration and motivation, (ii) Critical thinking, (iii) Visual communication skills, and (iv) Composition of the portfolio.
The potential candidates for entering the ISDN program are evaluated based on the program admission requirements: (a) Public examination results, (b) Design and technology portfolio, and (c) Team-based Design Challenge. The shortlisted candidates will be invited for the MANDATORY Team-based Design Challenge.
- Public examination results – following the ISDN program admission requirements:
- For JUPAS applicants, please refer to “HKUST Undergraduate Admissions website for JUPAS Applicants” by choosing “BSc in Integrative Systems and Design”.
- For the applicants with International Qualifications, please refer to “HKUST Undergraduate Admissions website for International Qualifications Applicants” by choosing “BSc in Integrative Systems and Design” under “School/ Program-Specific Requirements.
- For the applicants with Associate Degree/ Higher Diploma, please refer to “HKUST Undergraduate Admissions website for Post Secondary Applicants”.
- For Mainland JEE applicants, please refer to “HKUST Undergraduate Admissions website for Mainland JEE Applicants” by choosing “BSc in Integrative Systems and Design” under “School/ Program-Specific Requirements.
- Design and Technology Portfolio – highlighting students’ previous project works, competitions, design efforts and experience, unique abilities and interest.
- Team-based Design Challenge – assessing students’ potential and passion to the ISDN program. Instead of traditional intensive Q&A format of interview, it allows the candidates to demonstrate their ability to work through problems in steps. They have a unique opportunity to put their problem solving and communication skills in action and on display which are observable by the admission committee. The tentative schedule for the Team-based Design Challenge is as follows:
|International qualifications/ associate degree/ higher diploma||JUPAS||Mainland JEE|
|5-12 Dec 2018||3-9 Jun 2019||18 Jan – 2 Feb 2019|
|25-30 Jan 2019||15-18 Jul 2019||28-30 Jun 2019|
|17-29 Jun 2019|